Iosif Vulcan” Memorial Museum opened its first exhibition in the autumn of 1964, in the current building. Between 1897-1906, Familia Magazine used to be located there and before that, it was the residence of Iosif and Aurelia Vulcan. The space was bought with 20000 crowns in 1896 and much later, in April 1918, long after Iosif Vulcan’s death (1907), Aurelia Vulcan sold it  for 150000 crowns to Schreiber Jacob. One year later, the new owner sold the house for 200000 crowns to the minor Margit Moskovitz (deported and gassed at Auschwitz, in the summer of 1944). After the war, the current premises of the museum served as a state apartment for doctors Wilhelm Bársonyi and afeterwards Octavian Martin. In 1964, it was the headquarters of the Society of philological and historical sciences, under the leadership of Titus L. Rosu, one of the contributors to the thirds series of Familia magazine.

In September 1965, on the occasion of the centenary of Familia and the beginning of the 5th series of the publication, the exhibition dating from 1964 was enriched with furniture purchased from Aurel Lazar’s son, Liviu, whose family had acquired it from Aurelia Vulcan shortly before her death in 1928.

The museum has undergone two capital restorations, first in 2000 and then in 2014, offering today a basic exhibition organized in four rooms: the displays in the first room present Iosif Vulcan’s life (childhood in Holod and Leta Mare, adolescence in Oradea, his law studies) and his work, insisting on his fundamental achievement, creating  and publishing the first series of Familia Magazine for 41 years,. The displays also contain valuable documentary material with regard to his spiritual concerns, his activity within Romanian and Hungarian cultural foundations, societies and associations, his relationships with leading poets, writers, playwrights and historians of the second half of the 19th century. The books published by Iosif Vulcan – poetry, prose, drama and translations, diplomas attesting him as a member of ASTRA, of the Society for Romanian Theater Fund, and of the Kisfaludy Society, are also exhibited.

One of the most important exhibits is an authentic manuscript of Familia magazine (issue no. 6, from February 25 – March 9, 1866) in which poet Mihai Eminescu debuted, with the poetry “De-aş avea …,” as well as a display illustrating poet’s publications in the same magazine.

The other three rooms display authentic baroque, eclectic, Biedermeier, Jugendstil or rococo style furniture: tables, armchairs, a bench, a work desk, paintings, mirrors, vases, family photos, carpets, a cabinet, a clock, wall clocks and other objects.

The fifth room is used for the opening of temporary exhibitions.

Photo gallery


16, Iosif Vulcan Street, PC: 410041 Oradea, Bihor tel.: 0359/466088; 0771/740087 e-mail:

Museum visiting hours

MONDAY – closed;

APR 1st – OCT 31st: 10.00AM – 6.00PM NOV 1st – MAR 31st: 9.00AM – 5.00PM

Last entry is 30 minutes before closing time.

Ticket prices:

Adults: 10 lei

Children over 4 years old, students, retired: 5 lei

Guiding: 10lei/adult, 5lei/child.


Free entry for children smaller than 4 years old, children in foster care, war veterans, disabled, currently employed or former employees of the museum network.